I was reading a blog today from a guy called Chris Reed and thought i would look to add to it. His statement was
Singapore has the world’s worst taxi drivers.
This is a statement not a question he says. I agree with him whole heartedly. There are many things i love about Singapore and taxi’s are not one of them. Yes i have had some brilliant taxi drivers but notice the word some. Out of about 100 taxi rides in SG about 10 have been awesome and the rest are either racist, abusive to my family or just utter rip offs.
Why do i still take taxis then you may ask. Well you have no choice. See Singapore is run like a business not for convenience of the people. After 10:45 the train shuts down there is no night bus. Taxi is the only way home well that’s after waiting for hours and if it rains forget it.
A few stories that will shock you well they did me and if i was not professional i would probably be in jail now.
1.My son my wife and i were traveling in a taxi. My son has learning difficulties and sure he is loud sometimes but is a real sweet child a smile that will make anyone smile and be happy. Then one day we took a taxi. Kai would look out the window and say daddy. Car, bus, train, trunk cool truck daddy. He wound down the window as he likes the cars. We say Kai no the aircon is on do the window up baby. 10 mins later he forgets. Winds down the window again. The taxi drive knows now kai has problems. We explain to him kai has learning difficulties. The taxi driver does not take it well. He screams can you shut your retard up. He should be locked up. Fucking retard. It makes me feel sick to hear. We tell the driver please stop it these are not nice things to say. The driver wont stop. Fucking retard he screams. Why is he like it did you do something. You eat to much of the wrong thing. You need to have our diet. He should be in special home. Fucking retard. We say please stop. Please let us out. No he says i drop you off. You need to get him in a home. To sad we were relieved see the back of that man. Hope i never see him again.
2. My brother was over on a trip with my friend. We all went to the Singapore Zoo. Beautiful zoo and day. We had such fun. The comes the taxi ride home. We were a big party so could only get a big taxi or take 2. So we waited in the taxi queue. Got to the front of the queue we waited and waited letting people go in front as there was a big taxi way back. We might as well wait for that we say. About 30 mins go passed the taxi finally gets to us. We get in. The taxi driver does not ask us where were going he says get out. I say why you skipped the queue he says. I say we were first we let people go passed us you must of seen that. Your taxi was big we waited. No the Singaporeans are first. You bloody Angmo think you rule this country. Even the Singaporean family said no they were first. No you come my taxi. The Singaporean family say no they were first. We get back in the taxi. This time the driver is mad where you go ang mo. I tell him please we only want to get home. Please don’t call me ang mo. He says where are you going. Woodlands i say. No i don’t want to go there. Get out im in the taxi i say by law if your not changing shift you must take us. Get out fucking ang mo he says get out. This time I’m angry i take a photo of his id. I’m calling your company. He says i deny it. If the security guard who comes by now as the traffic is held up takes the drivers side. All we want to do is get home we waited ages. In the end we get two taxis the drivers were good and asked what his problem was and the guy ended up also leaving without a fare. Again in the end we did not say anything to his company as we read thw taxi company wont do anything as they will have less income until they find another driver.
Why when I’m standing at the side of the road a taxi is green they drive passed. Then a Singaporean is standing up the road they stop and pick them up.rnIn this day and age you would think people would be less racist. Its funny though you speak to a Singaporean they say its not racist to call someone an ang mo or to call names to a white person or this drive by is not racist. What is it then. I guess only white people are racist.
So to me not only are around 90% of Singapore taxi drivers crap drivers but their racist and rude and lack the ability to do their basic job. To take one from a to b without asking directions of saying no i cant take you there its to far. Its crazy sg is only 716.1 km² this is around half the size of London even going from woodlands to ruffles only takes 30 to 40 mins. A taxi driver in London will kill for a job like that.
Ok this gets me to my reasons why Singapore taxi drivers are so bad.
3.change shift this really gets my goat. Taxi drivers just go home why do you drive to a taxi rank to ask everyone don’t display where your going and then drive off empty. The taxi company’s need to clamp down on this nothing should give taxi drivers the right to not pick people up?
4.When is the one time you can never get a taxi in Singapore despite their being 26,000 of them, more than any other country per capita? When it rains. They disappear. You cannot for anything get a taxi when it rains. Where do they all go? You can’t even text them or app them and they usually love that as they get an extra couple of dollars.
1. Taxis are two cheap. This you can tell when petrol is 2$ a litter and tax fare is around 25$ to go from woodlands to ruffles place without surcharge.
2. Surcharges are used almost everywhere and you cant get a taxi if your in a non surcharge zone.
3. Singapore taxi drivers are uneducated.
4. Sg taxi companies only care about the rental of their cars and not the staff.
5. Its not worth a taxi drivers time to drive more than 20 mins away when they make just as much money on short rides. Unless they are changing shift.
6. Only Singaporeans can drive taxis so no real comp.
7. No A to Z test like in other cities.
Rip-offs like this when you get into a taxi you will get the first two questions where are you going and if they want to take you the next question will be which way do you want to go. If you say i don’t know they will take you the most expensive / congested way. I have tried this on a number of occasions if i dont say cte sle they will go pie bke sle. Cost about 10$ more.
The thing is they are from Singapore they are not FT they have lived in Singapore all their life’s they should know sg better than me and also they have been driving all day so should know where the traffic is. Sg has traffic signs and also a radio with traffic reports even sat nav has where the traffic on it.
There is no excuse. Newness to the roll is pathetic. They are not new to Singapore, they must know the way. If they do not why are they taking up a job as a taxi driver?
As i have said before, Whose fault is this incompetence?
The driver, the cab company or the Government? All three in my view.
Again also all taxi drivers in Singapore have to be Singaporean. They tend to be in their 40’s and 50’s. Therefore they have lived here all their lives, Singapore is a rather small city so presumably know the city inside out. I have lived here only 2 years and know most of the city. It’s not that big! So why don’t they?
Have the government conditioned them so much that they do not want to take a risk and go the way that they must know or do they simply genuinely not know in which case why are they so ignorant and going around with their eyes closed? It’s their job to know the way!
Things to do to make it better.
No training means greater ignorance.rnCab companies clearly do not train their taxi drives. If they did they would know the way to anywhere in Singapore or be able to find the way without asking a passenger. Why don’t they train them? If they do then they seriously need to look at their program because it does not work.rnTake London for an example unless you know the “knowledge” which is the A-Z of London streets. You cannot pick up a fare they have a badge system. You must know every street, every hotel, every landmark before you get a license. They should do this in Singapore.
In Australia and New York they allow non Australians and non Americans to take the roles and the service and knowledge of the city is better than Singaporeans of Singapore. In fact I would wager that if you took an Indian who had just got off a plane and never been to Singapore and gave him a cab he would do a better job than a Singaporean taxi driver in driving you to your destination…
They should introduce mini cabs in London they have them you should not be able to get them off the street but by ringing or booking them online they should take you from a to b for a set fair.
Why don’t the Government allow non-Singaporean Asian’s to take taxi drivers jobs? That would make current drivers them more competitive and less ignorance and complacent. No more not taking jobs, no more not knowing the way if they felt like they could be booted out and replaced by a willing Indian cab driver who had put the work in and knew the streets inside out and worked all hours to generate money.
Thank you for reading my blog. Hope you can let me know what you think.